07 Feb When the Model Is What Makes It: A Guide to Buying Pre-Owned Rolex Watches
There’s no shortage of reasons one might be on the hunt for a pre-owned Rolex. Be it for the sake of one’s budget or the love of collecting, one thing is undisputed: A Rolex is always a good idea.
So if you’re new to this particular market or are simply looking to brush up on available models, we’re here to help you with our top five recommendations, as well as tips for succeeding on your search for a timepiece.
Our Top Five Picks
- The Rolex Submariner — Simple, elegant, and known for its durable steel body, the Rolex Submariner is a classic of the brand that never fails to please. Particularly renowned for having a sleek, easy-to-read face — even when underwater or in other outdoor terrain that might otherwise impair your vision — the Submariner is also a favorite among divers and other outdoor enthusiasts, helping it maintain a higher value than most watches when placed on the resale market.
- The Rolex Daytona — While the Submariner is renowned amongst adventurists, the Daytona was crafted for those seeking the thrill of speed. Named for the city where the renowned NASCAR race is held, the Daytona features a powerful corrosion-resistant design that Rolex has coined the “cosmograph.” In other words, this watch goes beyond timekeeping — it’s built to perform.
- The Rolex Air-King — If your expectations for a watch are high, this one will soar above and beyond. Dubbed the “homage to aviation,” the Air-King is both scratch-resistant and capable of withstanding high altitudes due in part to its screw-down crown. What’s more, the newest Air-King model was recently improved with enhanced clasps and a solid-linked oyster bracelet.
- The Rolex Oyster Perpetual — Lauded as the “direct descendant” of the world’s first waterproof watch, the Oyster Perpetual features all of the classic design features a watch collector or aficionado could desire: Oystersteel, a broad bezel, self-winding capability, and more. Whether you’re searching for longevity or aesthetic harmony, the Oyster Perpetual has it.
- The Rolex Sky-Dweller — The power of time is close at hand. After all, the Sky-Dweller was designed with the traveler in mind, featuring an innovative dual-time-zone functionality with a chromalight display. Whether in a darkened airplane cabin or rushing to catch your Uber, a glance is all it takes to read the lustrous face. Mechanical complexity and efficiency are seamlessly integrated in this model.
Perusing for Pre-Owned
As previously stated, no two people will necessarily have the same reasons for hunting down a pre-owned Rolex. They will, however, want to take the same precautions.
Namely, when searching for a pre-owned Rolex, we recommend the following:
- Research your preferred Rolex model and its current value before committing to a price.
- If you’re looking online first, be sure that any scratches, dents, or other blemishes are plainly stated. If the image does not match up with the condition of the product when you walk in to finally see it first-hand, it may be time to walk away.
- Search for the signature Rolex crown and brand engraving. These two features adorn every authentic Rolex, meaning if the model in question is suspiciously devoid of either, it’s likely a fake.
- If you’re looking for a vintage Rolex, be sure to look at the reference number. A Rolex that is older than 30 years is considered vintage, and the company has been using six-digit references since the 2000s. They began using five-digit reference numbers, however, in the 80s. In other words, you’ll want to look for a watch with a reference number that contains five digits or fewer.
- Finally, always buy from a trusted and reputable dealer.
When It’s Time to Start
Speaking of always buying from a reputable dealer, one of the best ways to begin searching is to simply turn to the jewelers in your community that are locally owned, operated, and trusted — such as Hemming Jewelers!
Not only do we sell new and pre-owned Rolex models alike, but we also offer watch appraisals among other expert services.To get the ball rolling on your Rolex search, simply visit our online store or contact us today by calling (904) 354-5959. As Jacksonville’s #1 independent custom jeweler, we promise you’ll find your time is well-spent with us!